Scholarship Application Due Soon: WIPPS Young Adult Civic Engagement Award
Submit your Young Adult Civic Engagement Award application by March 27, 2023
Are you a college student who displays integrity, initiative and service to others? Consider applying for the Young Adult Civic Engagement Award.
This award is open to college, technical college or university students, aged 18 to 25, either residing in or attending an educational institution within one of the following Wisconsin counties: Ashland, Barron, Bayfield, Burnett, Chippewa, Clark, Douglas, Iron, Langlade, Lincoln, Marathon, Oneida, Polk, Portage, Price, Rusk, Sawyer, Taylor, Washburn, Wood.
One $500, non-renewable scholarship will be awarded to a young person who demonstrates leadership abilities including initiative, integrity and service to others. The review committee will also be looking for demonstration of a commitment to civic engagement through building relationships throughout the community and working toward positive change.
The scholarship is funded by former Wisconsin Congressman David R. Obey, who served central and northern Wisconsin as a representative from 1969 to 2011. Eligibility for the scholarship requires that the recipient be a resident of or be enrolled in an educational institution located within the district that Congressman Obey served. (See below for specific counties.)
To be considered, the applicant must:
- Be a college, technical college or university student, aged 18 to 25, either residing in or attending an educational institution within one of the following Wisconsin counties: Ashland, Barron, Bayfield, Burnett, Chippewa, Clark, Douglas, Iron, Langlade, Lincoln, Marathon, Oneida, Polk, Portage, Price, Rusk, Sawyer, Taylor, Washburn, Wood.
- Must already have earned a high school diploma.
- Be enrolled in an associate’s degree or bachelor’s degree program during the 2022-2023 academic year, earning at least six credits each semester of the year.
- Submit an essay of no more than 500 words explaining why they deserve this scholarship.
- Submit a letter of recommendation from an adult (a non-family member).
- Have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0.
- Transcripts should NOT be submitted with the application. The selected applicant will be asked to submit a school transcript which includes information on coursework during the 2022-2023 academic year.
*Employees, interns, board members or fellows of WIPPS and their family members are not eligible for this award.
The application deadline is March 27, 2023. Apply online by clicking here.
Visit wipps.org for more information or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.