Time is running out – Applications for the Young Adult Civic Engagement Award close soon
Application deadline March 26, 2022
There is still time to submit an application for the Young Adult Civic Engagement Award. The award, offered by the Wisconsin Institute for Public Policy and Service, is open to college students in Wisconsin’s 7th congressional district.
Do you know a college student who demonstrates initiative, integrity and service to others? Please let them know about this opportunity.
The scholarship is funded by former Wisconsin Congressman David R. Obey, who served central and northern Wisconsin as a representative from 1969 to 2011. Eligibility for the scholarship requires that the recipient be a resident of or be enrolled in an educational institution located within the district that Congressman Obey served. (See below for specific counties.)
One $500, non-renewable scholarship will be awarded to a young person who demonstrates leadership abilities including initiative, integrity and service to others. The review committee will also be looking for demonstration of a commitment to civic engagement through building relationships throughout the community and working toward positive change.
To be considered, the applicant must:
- Be a college, technical college or university student, aged 18 to 25, either residing in or attending an educational institution within one of the following Wisconsin counties: Ashland, Barron, Bayfield, Burnett, Chippewa, Clark, Douglas, Iron, Langlade, Lincoln, Marathon, Oneida, Polk, Portage, Price, Rusk, Sawyer, Taylor, Washburn, Wood.
- Must already have earned a high school diploma.
- Be enrolled in an associate’s degree or bachelor’s degree program during the 2021-2022 academic year, earning at least six credits each semester of the year.
- Submit an essay of no more than 500 words explaining why they deserve this scholarship.
- Submit a letter of recommendation from an adult (a non-family member).
- Have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0.
- Transcripts should NOT be submitted with the application. The selected applicant will be asked to submit a school transcript which includes information on coursework during the 2020-2021 academic year.
*Employees, interns, board members or fellows of WIPPS and their family members are not eligible for this award.
The application deadline is March 26, 2022. Apply online by clicking here.
For any questions, please email us at: email@example.com.